Images by Hanna Logue Photography
Mini Musician classes are a colourful and child friendly approach to developing the natural musicality of small children. The classes use the Colourstrings method, which is based on Kodály’s approach to music education. Kodály believed that all musicianship training begins with singing, in order to develop the inner ear, and this training should ideally begin very early on, with parents singing to their children! Kodály famously said that ‘Music education begins nine months before the birth of the mother,’ and we welcome babies from birth, up to age 7.
In classes, the children learn through singing, rhymes, clapping, using percussion instruments, dance and movement, listening to live and recorded music, and games. Whilst the goal of the classes is to make music fun, the children are unaware that they are learning key musical concepts (such as pitch, pulse, rhythm, dynamics, melody and harmony) in a structured way.
The classes are also designed to help prepare children for learning an instrument (normally around age 5-7), by teaching them to sing in tune; develop a good sense of rhythm; and by teaching them to read music notation. This helps to stop many of the frustrations that beginners encounter when they learn an instrument.
Classes last for around 45 minutes and are taught by experienced and qualified Kodály music teachers. Cost per class is £5 for non-walkers and £8 for toddlers and older, with payment due in advance of a half term. Non-walkers are free if they have an older sibling attending classes, and we also have twin discounts available. We also run group instrument lessons for age 5+, with prices starting at £10 a lesson, and instrumentals available to hire if you need them.
Our current classes are:
- Sunday 10:30am (0-4 year olds) – waiting list
- Monday 4pm (4-7 year olds) – spaces
- Monday 5pm (Intermediate ukulele – age 6+) – limited spaces
- Thursday 10am (Non-walkers) – waiting list
- Thursday 11am (Toddlers) – waiting list
- Saturday 9.30am (4-7 year olds) – spaces
- Saturday 10:30am (Beginner ukulele – age 5+) – spaces
- Saturday 11:15am (0-4 year olds) – waiting list
- Monday 10.30am (0-4 year olds) – waiting list
- Wednesday 3:50pm (Beginner ukulele – age 5+) – spaces
- Wednesday 4:30pm (Beginner violin – age 5+) – spaces
- Tuesday 10am (0-4 year olds) – spaces
- Tuesday 4pm (Beginner violin – age 5+) – spaces
- Tuesday 11am (0-4 year olds) – limited spaces
- Thursday 11.15am (0-4 year olds) – limited spaces
Meet our Teachers
We are very grateful for the support of the Isle of Man Arts Council, Culture Vannin, and Manx National Heritage.